Am 06.01.2013 17:47, schrieb Robert Klemme:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM,  <sto.mar / web.de> wrote:
>
>> So what's your practice/recommendation:
>>
>>    1. use only &&, ||
>>    2. use only `and', `or'
>>    3. distinguish between boolean expressions (if this && that)
>>       and control flow (loot = give_money  or die)
>>    4. ???
>
> 3 - for both.  Why should I recommend teaching a practice I don't
> follow.

Because beginners (in my case high school students with zero programming
experience) are lacking the knowledge and experience you have.
They might be completely unable to grasp and especially internalize
the subleties and gotchas that are involved here.

> Then I'd rather explain only "&&" and "||", mention that
> there are also other boolean operators but that I'll cover them later
> in the tutorial etc.

Exactly. This discussion has confirmed my tendency to only teach
&&, || (for boolean expressions, assignments with defaults, ...)
and leave control flow to if/unless.

Myself, I use constructs like `do_something or do_other'
very seldom anyway.

--
<https://github.com/stomar/>