On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM, tamouse mailing lists
> <tamouse.lists / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Peter Hickman
> > <peterhickman386 / googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> Seriously?
> >>
> >> Looking over all the projects in our repository the number of classes
> (from
> >> the rake stats command) most projects have less than 100 classes, a few
> make
> >> it into the low 100s and two make it into the 1000s all due to the fact
> that
> >> someone included an external project (soap4r and the like) in the lib
> >> folder.
> >>
> >> Are people routinely creating 1000s of classes in a project?
> >
> > it begins to smell like Java....
>
> Hehe.  Actually I had Java projects in mind.  I don't really have
> numbers how many classes similar projects in Java and Ruby actually
> have but I would assume the Ruby project to have less classes.  How
> much less might depend on the problem domain.  Generally the order of
> magnitude (i.e. a few thousand classes) does not sound too unrealistic
> for a reasonably sized project which has passed through a few
> development cycles.
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

Hmm, going to the root directory for my current work project, which has had
a team of 5-8 people on it for about a year and a half,

$ find . -type file -name *.rb | xargs ruby -E iso-8859-1 -ne 'print if
/^[^#]*((\b|\s)class\b\s[A-Z])|Class\.new|Struct\.new/' | sort -u | wc -l
    1378

But that is across all our services, gems that we wrote, test code,
migrations, etc.