Chris wrote:
>> I think it was B.Stroustrup who said that a worthy goal
>> is to learn a new (computer) language every year...
> I replied to a fairly recent "Python vs. Perl" thread on c.l.python,
> with "learn both."  Unfortunately, the regulars there seem rather

Yeah.  My problem with this is that my brain is only so big.  There's a
difference, in my mind, between being able to hack out tiny applications in
a language, and really "knowing" it... knowing the little tricks, knowing
the pitfalls, being able to write something without having to look up every
method call.  I can /investigate/ a language every year, but I can't
/learn/ one every year.  Heck, if I don't use a particular Java API in a
couple of weeks, I've got to pull up the API docs.

I suppose I'm picking nits, and I'm not opposed to gratuitous education.
However, given a limited number of hours in my day, I maintain that I can
learn Ruby and get really good at it, or I can learn both Ruby and Python
and be mediocre at both.  I'd rather be really good at one -- my
applications look better.

--- SER