Lee V. wrote in post #1090637:
> Well, I'm up to page 43 in Chris Pine's book and having a lot of fun,
> but I still can't figure out two basic things. One is what I've already
> asked you about. I'm just going to paste what his book says so you can
> see what I'm having trouble with:
>
> Now let°«s make a folder on your desktop in which you°«llkeep all of your
> programs. Right-click your desktop, select New, and then select Folder.> Name it something truly memorable, such as programs. Now doubleclick
> the folder to open it.
> To make a blank Ruby program, right-click in the folder, select New,
> and then select Ruby Program. You can rename the file if you want,
> but make sure to keep the .rb file extension, since that°«s whattells
> your
> computer this is a Ruby program (and not an email or a picture of Mr.
> Bean or something).
>

> I have a feeling creating the folder will be important down the road but
> I just can't figure out how to do it. Is my problem that I shouldn't be
> using 'interactive ruby'? That's what I've been using for everything,
> which brings me to my second question; I don't know how to make more
> than one line of a program at a time. Whenever I type a line of program
> and press enter, I get the response. I know there's got to be a way to
> fix this. I even tried typing lines at a time in the editor and then
> pasting it into interactive ruby, but it still only reads one line at a> time. Please help! I'm understanding all the programming I'm doing but
> these 2 basic, setup things, are driving me crazy!

 Ey my friend! don't be crazy. I was in the same foots like you a year ago. You have to know a few things: what Pine calls a 'Ruby Programm' is a just a *.txt file, with the extension changed to *.rb. There, in a any text file you can make a programm. Any IDE(Integrated Development Environment) what does is just help you to write a text file, which will become your programm, it puts color on strings and colors on variables because it's more easy for you to see the code, to read the code, but still is a text file with utf-8 characters in the most cases. How do you can execute your programms? (text files... remember), you have to open the console, I mean cmd, and then put:

ruby 'C:/RubyPrograms/MyFirstProgram/source_code.rb'

 Something like that, you have to put ruby and then the full path. There's many things that you have to know but start with this. This way you can run all the programms you want. I will recommend you a very light IDE to start, just for strat: InType. Is very basic, then once you domine some skills, switch to AptanaStudio3, it is free. Best for me is RubyMine but you have to buy it, is not free. AptanaStudio3 does it good.
 Hope this help you, don't be afraid to ask. Have fun!