Hello,

On 27 Ŧ 2012, at 18:58 , Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Panagiotis Atmatzidis
> <atma / convalesco.org> wrote:
>
>> You changed the "permissions" of the file but didn't make the file "executable".
>
> Uh, no; 755 *is* executable mode for user/group/world. Something else
> has gotten messed up in the file in question. Really, this is so basic:
>
> 08:48 /tmp $ cat > example.rb
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
>
> puts "hello"
> 08:48 /tmp $ ./example.rb
> bash: ./example.rb: Permission denied
> 08:48 /tmp $ ruby ./example.rb
> hello
> 08:48 /tmp $ chmod 755 example.rb
> 08:48 /tmp $ ./example.rb
> hello
> 08:48 /tmp $

Yeah you're right. My bad, I'll die and go to hell for that.

However you don't even need 755, 600 is enough to make it exec.

>>> Also, is there anyway to change the "kaye@kaye-R439-R478" ? It's
>>> probably a Ubuntu question but what the heck....
>>
>> gksudo gedit /etc/hostname
>
> Seriously, you would suggest someone change their *hostname*
> just to have different prompt text?

I didn't *suggest* that. I did not suggest anything for that matter.

I just answered a very straight forward question.

> When it can be configured to show actual *useful* information like
> the directory you're in or which git branch is checked out?

So according to you a user that doesn't know how to change his hostname
will be able to use oh-my-zsh-like prompts and git/mercurial/svn/cvs/whatever???

> And to the OP - yes, it's an Ubuntu/shell question, and you should
> make time to learn about working in a command-line environment;
> it will be effort well-spent.
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder / gmail.com
> http://about.me/hassanschroeder
> twitter: @hassan

Panagiotis (atmosx) Atmatzidis

email:	atma / convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG ID: 0xE736C6A0
gpg --keyserver x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xE736C6A0
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."