There is Anjuata/gnome-ide, which is the current in-development GNOME
IDE.

If you want an editor with powerful programming capabilities and full
Ruby support, there is gvim.  That should work great; I use command-line
vim for all my coding, Ruby included.

I'm not sure, but Gedit for GNOME2 might support highliting.  Haven't
tried it, to be honest; there are no gedit2 packages in Debian
unstable/experimental yet...