Hello -

I am new to Ruby. I have Ruby 1.93 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

To install a debugger I gather one has to install DevKit first. I have
done this,
from the self-installer DevKit-4.5.0-20100819-1536-sfx.exe, but when I
try to install
ruby-debug it makes no difference.

My next guess is to install a different version of DevKit but first I
will have to
uninstall the present version. Can this be done?

Alternatively, are there any debugging facilities that can be installed
on Windows
without hassle?

  Up to now the conversation has been as follows: (I use "indexing" as
home directory):-

[C:\DevKit]ruby dk.rb init
[INFO] found RubyInstaller v1.9.3 at C:/Ruby193

Initialization complete! Please review and modify the auto-generated
'config.yml' file to ensure it contains the root directories to all
of the installed Rubies you want enhanced by the DevKit.

[C:\DevKit]b config.yml

[C:\DevKit]ruby dk.rb install
[INFO] RubyGems override already in place for C:/Ruby193, skipping.
[INFO] Installing C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/site_ruby/devkit.rb

[C:\DevKit]cd -

[C:\Indexing]gem install ruby-debug
Fetching: rbx-require-relative-0.0.9.gem (100%)
Fetching: linecache-0.46.gem (100%)
ERROR:  Error installing ruby-debug:
         The 'linecache' native gem requires installed build tools.

Please update your PATH to include build tools or download the DevKit
from 'http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads' and follow the instructions
at 'http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit'