On 27 December 2012 16:33, Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Matt Lawrence <matt / technoronin.com>
> wrote:
> > I have noticed that this list has been taking on a rather nasty tone
> lately.
>
> I wouldn't call it "nasty" - still the tone has degraded.  There are a
> few other changes I have observed.
>
>  - Discussions of advanced topics almost vanished these days.
>  - There are a lot beginner questions.
>  - There are also quite a few questions which either look like
> homework or can be answered easily from documentation or testing with
> IRB.

They are less requests for help than demands that we do their work for
them. "Eternal September" springs to mind. We get emails from outsourcing
companies that advertise X years of RoR experience available for low prices
and I have the feeling that some of the posts we see here are from the same
people who have misrepresented themselves to a client to get the work.

> As a long time Ruby user and memeber of the Ruby community, I don't think
> > this is a good thing.
>
> Certainly not.

You can only get out what you put in and too many of the posts feel like
this list is a "first resort" rather than a "last resort". If they can put
some serious effort into their questions (too many seem to assume that we
are psychic) then I am willing to spend time helping on or off list.
Helping people is an act of charity, I am not obligated to help everyone
who can't be bothered to do the most rudimentary of Google searches and I
am not obligated to suffer fools.

I replied to Sean Westfall because I believe that having him spend $150 on
a certificate will do nothing for him in becoming a Ruby developer. At
least he had put some effort into the question "how can I become a Ruby
developer" and he deserved some help. His actual question was "Is it worth
the time?" and the answer is "No". But to say that is a disservice, it
needs to be explained. But the assumption that a certificate will be of any
help is so wrong there is nothing good to say about it.