> I wouldn't call it "nasty" - still the tone has degraded.

I agree. I've seen some people being a bit too uneducated to newcomers and
it's sad - one of the biggest reasons I started with Ruby instead of Python
is because I felt the community was much more friendly.

Also, to give my 2 cents:

Sean, this certification isn't very useful in the Ruby community. I *think*
it exists because there's some demand for it on Japan (remember: this is a
language originated and much more common there). We tend to value much more
your work on open source projects, as others have already said.

Try some ruby tutorials and books (codeschool's tryruby is a good one to
start, Eloquent Ruby is a good book, etc) and start writing simple projects
to get accustomed with automated testing and the syntax. There are lots of
rails material out there, but ask on its mailing list in case you can't
find anything useful.

Have a nice day. :)

-----
Carlos Agarie

Control engineering
Polytechnic School, University of S=E3o Paulo, Brazil
Computer engineering
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, USA