On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Sean Alphonse wrote:

> Also, yes Ruby and Perl are very similar, being that their both
> scripting languages (though they do have differences). I'm interested in
> becoming not just a ruby developer, but also a rails developer. And
> there's really nothing quite like Rails in Java and Perl..

Rails is a framework and DSL based on Ruby.  It is specialized to the
point that a lot of Rails developers don't really know Ruby.  So if your
immediate goal is to become a Rails developer, you may be better off
starting with studying Rails and worry about learning the other parts of
Ruby that you won't typically use in Rails development later.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.