On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Sean Alphonse <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> aaa, thanks Dave for the lengthy response.

Heh.  You're welcome.  But... brevity is the soul of wit, and my reply
was probably about twice as long as it needed to be, so I must be a
half-wit....

> it helps me feel like I have a
> standardize knowledge of the particular language. I like having a
> benchmark in my newbie case.

There are other ways of getting benchmarks.  Lots of the freelancing
web sites (don't recall offhand which ones, but try Elance,
Freelancer, Guru, oDesk, etc.) have tests you can take, for free.

> I understand why it's important to participate in the community. That's
> partially why I want to get into ruby development, because they have
> such an active community.

The community impressed me early on as one of the best unusual
features of Ruby.  Not only is it active, but also helpful and
welcoming.

> But no doubt, maybe I shouldn't spend too much time talking and more
> time thinking about how to fill my github with interesting examples of
> my coding work.

Just Do It.  That's how you learn.  See
http://www.dare2xl.com/2010/08/just-do-it.html (plug plug).  :-)

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC,
secret-cleared freelance software developer