On 27 December 2012 11:28, Arlen Christian Mart Cuss <ar / len.me> wrote:

> Lets start with the basics.
>>
>> Has anyone heard of this "Ruby Association" before?
>>

> Yes -- it's chaired by Matz himself.

Well I am very disappointed in that case, but that leaves questions 2 and
3. Has anyone taken it or interviewed someone who has taken it?

Looking at the web site we have the following:

Number of questions 50 (multiple choice)
Passing score 75%
Target version Ruby 1.8.7

Scope

The execution environment: Execution method, Command-line options,
Environment variables and irb
Syntax: CommentLiteralVariables, constants, and scope, OperatorsConditional
branching, LoopsException handling, Method calls, BlocksMethod definition,
Class definition, Module definition
Built-in libraries
Built-in functions
Built-in classes

Object orientation :Polymorphism Inheritance mix-in

That is 18 topics and only 50 questions. So only 2.7 questions per topic,
so just how deep can you get into exception handling with 3 questions? Too
many topics and too few questions, seriously just imagine trying to put
together some questions just to see if the candidate understood constants.
Would you be confident in the coverage with 2.7 questions given that every
question you ask reduces the questions that can be asked in other topics.
Even irb would require 3 or 4 questions

Given that this is the silver (lowest) level and the syllabus for Gold and
Platinum have not been defined since 2011 and we are almost on 2013 and
looking towards Ruby 2.0 I stick with my assertion that this certification
is worthless.

Perhaps certification is a Japanese concern