On 27 December 2012 01:28, Sean Westfall <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> How well respected is this certification in the industry: Ruby
> Association Certified Ruby Programmer.

Lets start with the basics.

Has anyone heard of this "Ruby Association" before?
Has anyone taken this exam to tell us what it's like?
Has anyone interviewed a candidate who has taken such an exam?

I suspect that the answers are, in no particular order, No, No and No.

That should tell you something.

I've recently decided I'd like to switch to being a Ruby on Rails
> developer. The languages I have the most experience in are Java, C and
> Perl.

If you can't use your experience as a Java, C and Perl programmer
(especially Perl seeing as it is a dynamic language) and a couple of books
to get yourself up to speed as a Rails developer then, to be honest, I
question your abilities as a programmer in any of those languages. If after
X years experience as a programmer using Java, C and Perl the best you can
put on your CV is some dumb certificate then I suspect that you are a
really really crap programmer.

> So I've been thinking about getting a certification to help me
> with landing a entry level position.

Your X years as a programmer in Java, C and Perl should be what will get
you an entry level position. Actually why are you aiming for an entry level
position at all? Surely a programmer with X years experience should be
aiming higher. Could it be that your experience as a Java, C and Perl
programmer amounts to nothing?

> The RACRP isn't that expensive at $150, and I'm not sure how hard it is,
> but I'd imagine the harder it is the better (right?).

If you think that paying $150 for a piece of paper that will make people
laugh in you face is money will spent then go ahead. Personally I would
think that $150 is 4 or 5 good books on Rails. Perhaps the question you
should be asking is "I am new to Rails development and have $150 to spend,
what books would people recommend to help me become a well rounded
developer"

> Is it worth the time?

Sure it is. All they have to do is put together some simple questions on
Rails, print a certificate from a $15 program and they get to pocket $150.
Damn wish I had thought of that first as it seems that there are people
stupid enough to part with money for useless bits of paper.

This all might sound brutal but lets be frank here, the fact that you even
consider this make me question your judgement.