Derrick B. wrote in post #1089888:
(...)

> As I stated as an edit in a previous post, this started as an assignment
> to create a C++ class that handles fractions, so I then created a Perl
> "class", and now a Ruby class.  So, using "require rational", or "use
> bigrat" in Perl, would have defeated the purpose.  I do plan on learning
> more about Ruby, and Perl, add-ons.

Just to clear things up, since Ruby 1.9 Rational is not a gem nor in
Standard Lib, it is in Ruby core. For instance, this works without
requiring anything:

 puts "1/40".to_r * "2/3".to_r #=> 1/60

and botp's code runs without the require 'rational' on 1.9. Nothing
wrong with reinventing a wheel for learning purposes however.