I still use C++ in most places and probably always will, but Ruby offers
a couple things I just can't get with C++.  Mainly: very quick,
on-the-fly development to perform tasks where speed and efficiency of
the final application is of little concern.  Mainly system
administration stuff, but also for lightweight tasks like dynamic web
pages, etc.  Being able to copy a script to another machine and run it,
and being able to edit it quickly with a text editor to make up for
something that's different on that machine is something I just can't get
with C++.  You can do a lot of cool stuff like write web servers and
things...but I have no trouble doing that stuff in C++ and I'm not a big
fan of throwing away system resources.

For anything heavier, I would say that C++ is still the way to go.  A
lot of people here don't like it...I've had tremendous success with C++
personally.  *shrug*

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I don't even understand why
anyone uses Java.  So, bear that in mind when taking my opinion into
account.  =)

Ruby is a fantastic development tool for certain things, mostly where
Perl was good.  I would extend its use to that of web development as a
replacement for PHP, and that's exactly where I'm headed with it,
although I haven't proven its worthiness in that department to myself
yet; got some other things on my plate right now (Ruby-related).

	Sean