On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Avi F. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> It isn't marketing lingo. Don't you feel pleasure and wonder coding?

Pleasure yes, wonder no.  That was when I was 14 maybe, but most of
the magic went away when I looked behind the scenes.  But don't pity
me, I am content the way it is.

> Seeing what you can create and how you can express it? I mean connect to
> that - this isn't just a job, we're not code monkeys or pixel pushers,
> we're artists.

I would never describe myself as an artist - I am an engineer.  Note
also that artists usually do not work against deadlines or roadmaps
laid out by others.  Instead they have their own agenda.  While some
of us may actually be able to create something based on their own
preferences and be successful with that (the term "rock star" was
used), the overwhelming majority works in a different mode.

> It's wondeful. Connect to that. I know the job can get
> stale but let's not forget what we're doing here.

Exactly: to be good at our job one needs enthusiasm (like for
_everything_ you want to excel in), creativity and a certain level of
cold-bloodedness (otherwise you won't be able to tackle complicated
matter).  Not getting carried away by one's own creations is actually
a virtue.

> I know my language can get lavish when talking about code, it isn't a
> gimmick, it's how I feel.

Well, I feel different.

Kind regards

robert