On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Avi F. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> So ya, that's Flatiron's first job, to help
> people connect to the wonder of code.

"Wonder of code" - that's too much for me.  Maybe it's necessary
marketing lingo - or I am too long in the field.

> Second, the mechanics and syntax of code are the easy parts. In fact, we
> don't even teach that stuff, we expect you to learn it on your own
> through our prework curriculum (which is open sourced
> http://prework.flatironschool.com ). What we focus on isn't the science
> of programming but the art of expression. Knowing how to define a method
> isn't as important as understanding when methods are needed, what they
> really mean, how they represent behavior. Programming is about
> articulating an idea clearly, not to a machine, but to ourselves. I try
> to show them how to break problems down, how to use the vocabulary they
> have learnt to solve a problem, how to work in teams, how to come up
> with effective plans, how to actually build. There is just so much more
> to programming then the gestures of a particular language. We try to
> teach all those other things.

Absolutely agree.  If you regularly succeed at teaching that to people
who have no previous exposure to software development in 12 weeks then
hats off to you!

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/