Chad Perrin wrote in post #1089291:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:40:19AM +0900, Kevin Y. wrote:
>>
>> 3.10K is a rip off. However, the benefits outweigh. Colleges are bigger
>> rip offs.
>
> For purposes of pure learning . . . yes, they are.  Keep in mind,
> though,
> that many employers simply will not hire anyone without a college
> degree.
> A lot of those say they'll hire without a degree if you have
> "equivalent"
> experience, but mostly (even if they believe it) they don't really mean
> it deep down inside.  Exceptions tend to be made for people who are
> "rock
> stars" (e.g. someone hiring for Ruby on Rails might not turn down DHH
> even if he didn't have a degree), but most of us aren't famous that way.

Is that really true that employers will not hire a candidate without
programming related degree? I know at least two people who went to fine
art programs and one is doing very well as an iOS app developer and the
other something else I do not know at this moment. Also I attended few
SkillShare courses that are taught by professional programmers who were
self-taught and they definitely did not think that college degrees are
necessary as long as your work reflects certain level of skill. There
wasn't any conflict of interests as those classes were free.