if you like the look of sc and your not on a mac, don't despair version
three
is due to come out in the not too distant future after which a linux
port will
probably eventuate. also, you might take a look at open sound control.
(something which would be really nice  to implement in ruby, maybe once
i learn the language properly i'll do it :-)

http://cnmat.CNMAT.Berkeley.EDU/OSC/

it's sc's and a growing number of other multimedia platforms
primary means of communication. after i discovered it i never looked
back to midi, well
except for control boxes and the likes.

regards,