Strangely, I was getting those funny characters at the end of
each line in the Windows file until I tried gsub(/\n/,"\r").
That doesn't make sense to me but it works (or is that the
way it is and I'm thinking Mac?).

> Do note that in perl, a temp file is still used (behind the scenes)
> even if you have the "-i" feature set to not save a temp file.

True.

> The original query specified no temp file; I don't know if he meant
> one was strictly not allowed at all at any time, one wouldn't be
> automatically saved for you, or that the programmer wasn't allowed to
> explicitly create one.

I only meant that I didn't want to have to explicitly create one.
If one is created behind the scenes, that's ok.

Thanks all.

Dan