On 5/11/02 3:24 AM, "Alwyn" <alwyn / alwyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Talking of X11, has anyone been able to get 'tcltklib' to be configured
> and built on OS X? I've done my best but failed; I think the problem has
> to do with the lack of an include path for 'Xlib.h', which is needed by
> 'tk.h'. I tried setting an environment variable to enable GCC to use the
> path, but to no avail.

Well, I got it to build but not using GNU make. I ended up turning it into a
JAM project after reading Jim Inghams' Tcl/Tk README and learning that no
one has yet succeeded in getting Tcl to build on OSX with make.

I think it even working after a fashion but that's not enough. If I put
debugging statements in a program I can see that Ruby is getting reasonable

I got tired of working in terminal though and put the whole project on hold
till I "finish" RubyStudio. I do have every intention of picking it up again
in the not too distant future.

BTW - There is a lot of cruft in the way dynamic libraries are handled under
OSX. Basically the current method uses deprecated features of NeXTSTEP. This
makes the whole process of porting harder than it needs to be. So my agenda
looks like this.

1) Get RubyStudio to the next level.
2) Acquire some skill with autoconf and bring the Ruby build into the 21st
century.
3) Get Tcl/Tk working from Ruby on OSX.
--
Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a
rough exterior. - Juvenal, poet (c. 60-140)