I've found it to be very difficult to compare the two parsers in terms of
speed. Xampl-pp deals with namespaces (I don't think Rexml handles
namespaces in its current streaming API) and it reports more events than
Rexml. Since, in some cases, xampl-pp is spending 30-40% of its time dealing
with namespaces I'd have expected Rexml to have something of an advantage. I
don't know what to say when I run some benchmarks and xampl-pp is twice as
fast as Rexml, and when I run others Rexml is twice as fast as xampl-pp.

As far as performance goes, xampl-pp is going to get faster. I'm using a
couple of idioms that can be improved and they are in critical regions of
the code, and I don't have the control over memory use that I'd like to see.

Sorry, but I can't give you a better answer than that.

Bob