Steve Tu wrote in post #1087312:

> What I'm then confused about is really two things:
> 1) Why is it allowable to in effect modify a class?

Because ruby allows you to change things at will.  There are still other
ways to change a class other than the ways you have learned so far, for
instance a user can enter a name and you can add a method with that name
to a class.

> 2) I thought everything was in a method anyway - but why is it not
> allowed to do something like Const::NEW_CONST = value

Well based on that logic, then because assignment to variables is
typically done with method names that end in '=', you should wonder
whether there is a method named "Const::NEW_CONST=".

> but then allow Const.const_set("CONSTANT", value)?

That's just the way it is.