Or even 'Why <insert scripting language of your choice>'? I know it's me
that's ignorant. I'm hoping this forum can change that! ;-) Allowing for
my background in C++/C/Assembler/Pascal/Fortran..., can you help me to
understand what languages like Ruby are for?

Surely they're not just better versions of the 'language' used for
writing MSDOS batch files? [No offence intended. ;-)] I know what to use
C++ for, but I can't visualise a situation where I would look at the
design problem and think 'No, not C++ - Ruby is what I should use here.'

I've tried to learn Ruby, and made some very basic progress, but I'm
stuck in a mental rut. I can't think of what to use it for, so I can't
see the point in learning any more about it. Help!! :-)

--
Steve Merrick

"Who cares, wins"