Ivan Cenov wrote in post #1086301:
>  25.11.2012 . 20:39 ., john smith ߧѧڧ:
>> I just tried reinstalling ruby, i installed the devkit. i do have vmware
>> with ubuntu and bt5 that i could use, but im more comfortable with
>> windows. do you know of any other database that works well with ruby
>> that i could try?
>>
> I don't understand Ruby, nevertheless I installed Redmine in our office.
> So,
> when we moved to Ruby 1.9.3 I had to use mysql2 gem, not mysql. My
> advice is
> to try mysql2.
> mysql2 requires newer version of libmysql.dll (6.0.2)
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ivan Cenov
> OKTO-7 Co. Bulgaria
> imc / okto7.com, i_cenov / botevgrad.com
> mobile:+359888761080,
> phone:+35972366161, fax:+_35972366262

It was the libmysql.dll file, when you d/l the mysql 2.9.0 it said:

  You've installed the binary version of mysql.
  It was built using MySQL Connector/C version 6.0.2.
  It's recommended to use the exact same version to avoid potential issues.

  At the time of building this gem, the necessary DLL files where available
  in the following URL:

  http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/Connector-C/mysql-connector-c-noinstall-6.0.2-win32.zip/from/pi
ck

  You can put the lib\libmysql.dll available in this package to your Ruby bin directory.
  E.g. C:\Ruby\bin

Go to website unzip and place the libmysql.dll file in your ruby/bin folder. thanks for all the help