> * Figure out some way in the gem to dynamically disable compiling the
> extension on MRI 1.9.3. For example in ext/extconf.rb:
>
>    if '1.9.2' == RUBY_VERSION
>         create_makefile(...)
>    else
>        ???
>    end

`Gem::Ext::ExtConfBuilder` makes this difficult by (incorrectly)
assuming it should always run make after extconf.rb; you must create a
Makefile (even if it's just a no-op stub) and have an activated make on
your system.

I recently had a similar idea (comined pure-ruby and native gem with
build decision made at install time by extconf.rb) and briefly toyed
with wrapping the extconf.rb with a Rakefile. The quick hack didn't
work, and I haven't had time to swing back and dance with the little
monster.

  https://github.com/jonforums/ffi-bogus

Perhaps it just needs another set of eyes and a bit more time. That
said, a Rakefile + extconf.rb solution is a kludge. The right solution
is to find a clever way to make RubyGems more nimble and not break
existing extconf.rb builds.

Jon