So far so good.
I now have my 'Tutorial' test module working from a looping case, with
sub options (based mainly on the examples at rubylearning.com, and my To
Do list).

The ToDo list (that now has a action number (as a reversed date) and
text) stored in a file - with the actions being updateable.

I did have one further issue with my list array - when selecting from a
Zenity list, Zenity returns a comma separated list of column entries.
In my case, my new 'action no' was the column(s) returned. I could then
split the returned string to get the individual action numbers - but I
couldn't find an elegant way of then getting which entry in the list
array matched that action no to mark it as done.
I did see there was an 'index' method, but I could see how that worked
with a multi-column array (my list has columns of done, action no and
text) - so I wanted to do a find like (pseudo code):
list.action.find("20121123110100")
..that code failed (errored) and list.find("valid value") returned nil.

I got a working example by iterating over the list array and manually
comparing the list[n].action to the Zenity returned values.

Is there a way of 'finding' (and getting the index value of the array
line) a value in a specific column in a  multi-column array that you
know of?