I am completely new to Ruby.
I have been reading through the tutorials and trying to build an example
set.

One example I saw was a basic todo list. I have then taken that example
and tried to modify it.

What I want is a file with two fields, action no, and text.
That file is read, and from each entry in the file, an 'item' object is
created that contains a record structure of status, action no and text.

That 'item' object is then loaded into a 'todo list' and the list
displayed on screen for the user to mark the completed actions.

I have then two objects - the 'todo list' and the 'todo item'. The item
has an initializer that takes the delimited file line (format action
no<<>>text) and splits that line into a structure that also has a
status.

My todo list has a list array. I want to load the list array with the
item objects and am using the << operator as:

@list << item_rec

This seems to work ok, and my array goes from 0 length to 1. But, I had
hoped then to access the record fields via 'list', ie:
list[0].action
but when I try to access the 'list[n].action' I seem to have nil in the
field(s),although looking at 'list' in total seems to show the data.
List is  ([#<TodoItem:0x8379f30 @item_rec=#<OpenStruct done=false,
action="1", name="hgafafgafgagaf">>])

Is it because I have an array of 'objects' - ie 'list' now contains a
single element of class 'TodoItem'? If so, how do I access the
'item_rec' sub object of 'list'?

Does any of that make sense?