>> Best way to do this is add them at execute time with $LOAD_PATH
>
> You can also include the libraries in the RUBYLIB shell variable. The
> content of RUBYLIB is prepended to the default list of paths:
>
> $ export RUBYLIB=/a/b:/c/d/e:/f/g/h/i
> $ irb
> irb(main):001:0> $LOAD_PATH

The original request mentioned they were using tcsh. For tcsh do
if you don't have RUBYLIB env variable set

setenv RUBYLIB /some/install/path/lib

if you already have RUBYLIB set

setenv RUBYLIB /some/install/path/lib:#{RUBYLIB}

Ruby will grab what is in your RUBYLIB variable, and prepend them.

I'm sure since the author wasn't able to install libraries to the
machine, they would also no be able to edit the /etc/profile(only used
by bash by the way)