Maybe because nobody have a clue?
I have tried to add users into LDAP using the common tools and it was hell.
so my recommendation is to make sure you are LDAP expert.
Try to do the task with regular and common tools of openLDAP tools and
later try to use ruby LDAP.
ruby-net-ldap is since 2006
net-ldap 0.3.1 is up to 2012 and have a site :http://rubyldap.com/
activeldap 3.2.2 is up to 2012 and has a
site:http://ruby-activeldap.rubyforge.org/activeldap/en/file.tutorial.html
ruby-ldap  0.9.12 is old and up to 2011.

so Just pick and try to do your best.

Regards,
Eliezer

--