I'm developing a begginer project, like you will be. Take a look at this
website: https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/categories/GUI_Frameworks , it
shows you the options you have for a GUI framework, right now I'm
working with FXRuby because I'm developing on and for Windows. I
researched about the topic before and I've found that altought in the
website of the frameworks you'll see that most of them are compatible in
multiple OS I've seen in forums that is not like that, so depending for
which system you will desing: chose the framework. I've chosen FXRuby
because seems the easiest for me, and now, after 3 months, I don't says
the contrary. So if you want some advice related to FXRuby(or meaby
after a time you can teach me something about it) just send me a
personal message.