Rochit Sen wrote in post #1083936:
> Hi All,
>
> I have to parse through and store the contents of each cell in an array.
> I wrote the following. But when i print the contents of my resultant
> array "contents" all i get is [nil,nil,nil....nil]. Please correct where
> i am wrong?
> In the following code i am first getting what is the max number of rows
> and cols i have in the xlsx file. Then run through the cells using the
> lastRow and lastColumn in the for loop.
> -----------------------
> require 'roo'
> require 'rubygems'
>
> #Excel file instance
> workbook = Excelx.new(ARGV[0])
>
> #Need to find the count of lastrow and last column
> lastRow = workbook.last_row
> lastColumn = workbook.last_column
> print "Last row -"+" ", lastRow
> print "Last column -"+" ",lastColumn
>
> #parse the first sheet contents
> contents = []
>
> for i in 1..lastRow do
>   for j in 1..lastColumn do
>     contents.push(workbook.cell([i],[j],workbook.sheets[0]))
>     j=j+1
>   end
>   i=i+1
> end
> print contents
>
> thanks

 First of all, it's not necessary to pass the third argument to cell()
because by default the sheets where roo looks is the first one.
 Second what are you doing here? => j=j+1 <= there's no meaning since
the block iterates by himself, passing the next number of 1..X feature.
 Third the malfunction can be because you pass #Array items to cell()
when they should be just #Fixnum items. Just cell(i, j), try that way.
The code should stay like this: