On 5/11/02 2:23 AM, "ccos" <ccos / bigpond.com> wrote:

> hmm i think stuffit did decompress what i installed, come to think of it.
> i didn't think it'd be a problem because stuffit supposedly uses the
> unix apps to unstuff,

That little 'Magic Menu' thing in their commercial version uses the Unix
apps by default but Expander uses Aladinsys's own code. What's more, Apple
provides 'legacy file system' API for accessing the old HFS without the plus
file system that they used pre 8.6. Of course that API has limits in terms
of path length and character set that mirror the limits in the old file
system. AladinSys's coders needed to use that because their customers have
archives on old ZIP disks and CDs. But then they got lazy and decided the
old API would work 'Most of the time' on the new file system.

If only they had written StuffIt in Ruby it would have been trivial with
some  aliases inside conditional clauses to automatically match the system
calls to the format on the media. But their old C++ code base made it hard
to do that. So they released a product that will fail silently sometimes
after doing almost the right thing an you can spend hours before you realize
that StuffIt screwed you.

I guess I'm venting because I'm one of the ones who have been burned.

Anyway, I see by looking down the thread that you got it working.
Congratulations.

--
Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye
level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. -Henry