[moving discussion to ruby-dbi-devel / lists.sourceforge.net, reply there]

> On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 14:44, Brad Hilton wrote:
> > usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/DBD/Mysql/Mysql.rb:321:in `finish':
> > undefined method `free' for #<Mysql:0x81a9d44> (NameError)
> >         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/dbi/dbi.rb:701:in
> > `finish'
>
> Well, to follow up to myself:
>
> It turns out the error is expected.  Mysql objects don't have the
> methods 'free' and 'fetch_fields' defined.  Those methods are
> actually in the class MysqlRes, which I found out after looking at
> the c code.
>
> The problem is that ruby-dbd-mysql assumes that Mysql#query always
> MysqlRes objects, when that isn't true.  If query_with_result is
> false, Mysql#query returns self (a Mysql object).

Hmmm....  alright.  What's the value of query_with_result being false?
Is it's point to save on the number of objects created?  I don't see
any direct benefit of toggling this option.

> Could the maintainer of ruby-dbd-mysql look into this please?
> Basically, every time a @res_handle is grabbed from Mysql#query
> there is a false assumption that it is a MysqlRes object, and not a
> reference to the original Mysql object.

I think it might be a fair assumption, but I'm neither the dbd_mysql
maintainer, nor am I familair with what that option does.  Could you
ellaborate?  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden