--Apple-Mail-1--147987848
	format­´wed

> There really is a fair number of people using Ruby on OSX. Apple is
> going to
> preinstall it in the server version of Jaguar so that number will
> increase
> for sure.

good to hear. i'm a smalltalker and really love ruby from the little i
already know about it.
so the more the better.

> Here is the mantra for installing Ruby from the latest stable tarball:
>
> 1) Don't trust StuffIt! Use tar from the command line or OpenIt to
> unarchive.

hmm i think stuffit did decompress what i installed, come to think of it.
i didn't think it'd be a problem because stuffit supposedly uses the
unix apps to unstuff,
but i'll take your word for it.
would you recommend installing from source and not using a distribution?
i basically just installed Marc Liyanage's distribution. i think there's
another one out there as well.
if i wanted to erase any damage i may have done to apache, as well as
the ruby i've got now, to reinstall
what would be the best way to go about it?

thanks much,

p.s. i just got through reading a message from Marc Liyanage describing
how to go about running a ruby cgi with his distribution, and he does
exactly what i did, so i'm thinking i might have damaged apache somehow,
or misconfigured it, don't know.

this is how he and i both did it (his message):

"I can give you a two-line example that works on my machine, after that
you're on your own...

I made a file with this in it:

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n";

print "Hello World\n";

Then in the terminal I made it executable:

chmod +x test.ruby

Then I copied it to the CGI directory:

sudo cp test.ruby /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/

Then I ran it in the web browser with this url:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.ruby

This works for me...

Cheers

-Marc"

the slight differences being that i copied the file into the CGI dir by
dragging and dropping in SNAX (just a file browser), and i chmod 755'd
after it was copied, which i'm guessing wouldn't make any difference?

--Apple-Mail-1--147987848

<excerpt>There really is a fair number of people using Ruby on OSX.
Apple is going to

preinstall it in the server version of Jaguar so that number will
increase

for sure.

</excerpt>

good to hear. i'm a smalltalker and really love ruby from the little i
already know about it.

so the more the better.

<excerpt>Here is the mantra for installing Ruby from the latest stable
[...]

</fontfamily>