Hi,

At Sat, 11 May 2002 13:20:47 +0900,
ccos wrote:
> > That's why it is better to use:
> > #!/usr/bin/env ruby   #note the space before ruby
> > This seems to work everywhere.

Not everywhere, I heared some systems have /bin/env instead.

> yeah they had it like that in the practical programmer book, and
> that's why i originally tried it with a space,  on my system,
> usr/bin/env is a file, and not a directory. is it a file in your
> example as well. what exactly is going on with the space? i guess it's
> time for me to hit the unix books a little harder. i'm a bit
> stumped. anybody out there using ruby cgi scripts on os x?
> thanks much,

/usr/bin/env is a command sets environment variables and execs
other command.  In this case, it sets no variable but execs
"ruby" searching from PATH.  So replace #! line with exact full
path name of ruby.

At Sat, 11 May 2002 13:33:55 +0900,
ccos wrote:
> it does the same with '/usr/bin/env ruby' and 'usr/local/bin/ruby'

Did you wrote "#!usr/local/bin/ruby"?  So don't forget first
slash.

> p.s. maybe i'm using the wrong ruby? usr/local/bin has only two files
> in it ruby and irb. would this be the right ruby? i think it is?

Correct.  The other files are under /usr/local/lib/ruby.

--
Nobu Nakada