    Paul> One of the quirks I have noticed in the ruby emacs mode is
    Paul> that if I have something like:
[...]
    Paul> Emacs wants to format it this way:

    Paul> a_long_object_name.a_long_method_name(
    Paul>                                       a_long_parameter_name,
    Paul>                                       another_long_parameter_name)

This has annoyed me too.  So, I've hacked up a version of ruby-mode.el
that addresses this problem.  You can find it at ...

    ftp://ftp.one.net/pub/users/jweirich/ruby/ruby-mode.el

Set the variable 'ruby-deep-arglist' to non-nil if you want the
traditional indentation.  Set it to nil if you want the new "shallow"
indentation.

There seems to be a number of different versions of ruby-mode.el
laying around.  I put the changes in the latest version I had locally.
Who is currently maintaining this file?

Have fun.