On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Will Bracken <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> My team has been doing Java for a long time. We are switching to Ruby.
> We are finding that Ruby has limitations and that we have to do certain
> things in Java. I'm trying to find a way to call Java code from Ruby.
> I'm searching Google and such, and I always end up on a page describing
> how to call Java code from JRuby. That's not what I want.

What are the limitations which you are referring to.

> Then I start to wonder why we're NOT using JRuby?! Instinctively, I'm
> thinking Java and Ruby is what we're doing. JRuby is the best of both
> worlds. What am I missing?

For the most part it depends on what your task is.

> I've asked around a little bit and I've heard a few negative things
> about JRuby, such as memory issues or diminishing oracle/community
> support, or whatever. Is JRuby a dud? Or is it viable for real-world,
> large-scale, mission critical apps, the way Ruby/Rails supposedly is? Is
> there a reason that we should be coding in Ruby AND Java instead of just
> going with JRuby? Can we not use Rails if we do JRuby? I mean, why
> wouldn't you want access to all the comprehensive features in Java,
> combined with the ease/fun of Ruby?!
>
> Thoughts?

jruby is not a dud (whatever that means)... It's used in the "real
world" the same as ree and mri (et al)

Rails runs on jruby. Why would you think it doesn't? Rails is just a
program written in ruby.

And since you asked:

Personally I don't want the "comprehensive features in Java". But that
doesn't mean that you don't. What I want (which I have) is the
comprehensive syntax inspired from SmallTalk with the eloquence and
simplicity of the UNIX shell with the programmable programming
language of Lisp.

Either way. Without explaining what the actual issue your having with
(outside of your google rumors) no one here will be able to help with
your specific edge case.  Hit up the jruby people and have them help
you with creating wrappers for the cargo of "missing features from
java" for your application stack.