Hi Will,

You might have been better of asking this question on a JRuby mailing
list (http://xircles.codehaus.org/projects/jruby/lists) as this list
seems to be very MRI focused mostly ;-)

That said it sounds to me JRuby would be your natural ally. I've found
the cross over from Ruby to Java elegant and far more easy to use than
building C-extensions for MRI.
It also allows for true multi threading in Ruby (*without* a GVL) and
generally peforms quite admirably compared to MRI.

Because of the abominable startup time (one of the few downsides of
JRuby) I do not normally use it for small scripts/tools but for large(r)
scale applications that does not really matter.

I've run a Redmine/Rails webapp on JRuby/Glassfish for years with great
satisfaction.

regards,
Martin.

On 10/24/2012 10:15 PM, Will Bracken wrote:
> My team has been doing Java for a long time. We are switching to Ruby.
> We are finding that Ruby has limitations and that we have to do certain
> things in Java. I'm trying to find a way to call Java code from Ruby.
> I'm searching Google and such, and I always end up on a page describing
> how to call Java code from JRuby. That's not what I want.
>
> Then I start to wonder why we're NOT using JRuby?! Instinctively, I'm
> thinking Java and Ruby is what we're doing. JRuby is the best of both
> worlds. What am I missing?
>
> I've asked around a little bit and I've heard a few negative things
> about JRuby, such as memory issues or diminishing oracle/community
> support, or whatever. Is JRuby a dud? Or is it viable for real-world,
> large-scale, mission critical apps, the way Ruby/Rails supposedly is? Is
> there a reason that we should be coding in Ruby AND Java instead of just
> going with JRuby? Can we not use Rails if we do JRuby? I mean, why
> wouldn't you want access to all the comprehensive features in Java,
> combined with the ease/fun of Ruby?!
>
> Thoughts?

                          Martin J.N. Corino | Remedy IT Expertise BV
         Postbus 101 |  2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs | The Netherlands
                      tel: +31 (10) 522 0139 | fax: +31 (33) 246 6511
                                 World Wide Web: http://www.remedy.nl