On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Henry Maddocks <hmaddocks / me.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/2012, at 6:54 AM, Terje H. wrote:
>
>> I am working on a project involving different network protocols, http
>> and
>> irc to mention two, to simulate responses back to the sender.
>> In this case i was wondering if there is some way to have one daemon
>> listening on a port, and when requested figure out what response to
>> simulate
>> for the sender to accept the answer. I want to do this instead of having
>> to write separate daemons for each service.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this matter maybe?
>
> This would be possible except each protocol usually uses a different port.

I'd prefer to keep protocols separate even if they share common code
or even data.  But since in reality one port is only used for one type
of service it seems there is no real requirement to have then on a
single port especially since automatic protocol detection might be
complicated etc.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/