The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.7.0.RC2.

    Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    Download: http://www.jruby.org/download

This is the second (and likely last) release candidate of JRuby 1.7.
The JRuby 1.7 release series represents a tremendous amount of work by
dozens of contributors, and there are improvements in every subsystem.
Users of highly-concurrent applications will see improvements in
throughput and raw parallelism. And we have upped our compatibility
level to match Ruby 1.9.3.

We know that there are still pieces of 1.9 support we don=92t have yet,
like Ripper, but we think we are at a stable point where people can
use JRuby in 1.9 mode to host production applications. Barring any
significantly serious issues, RC2 will become 1.7.0. Our plan after
the release of 1.7.0 is a set of smaller point releases to address
bugs and to add the few missing pieces of Ruby 1.9.

JRuby 1.7 is the first JRuby to support the new =93invokedynamic=94
feature of the JVM. You can enable invokedynamic use on Java 7, but it
is disabled normally due to JVM issues. On Java 8 builds, it is
enabled by default. http://wiki.jruby.org/PerformanceTuning

Please, please, please test your applications against 1.7.0.RC2. We
want to make 1.7.0 a rock solid release and your contribution is
extremely helpful.
Issues resolved:
Bug

    [JRUBY-5732] - Error with selector: java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelExce=
ption
    [JRUBY-6140] - Net::POP3 (and possibly other things) cannot verify
certificate using JRE's trust anchors
    [JRUBY-6510] - String#encode! not correctly implemented.
    [JRUBY-6838] - Kernel#rand(Range) not supported
    [JRUBY-6912] - __FILE__ has an extra preceding slash in windows
    [JRUBY-6913] - with jdk 7, system commands run in windows use
wrong line endings
    [JRUBY-6914] - Rake Tasks no longer work with Bundler under JRuby 1.7.0=
.RC1
    [JRUBY-6918] - Ant: "instance vars on non-persistent Java type
Java::OrgApacheToolsAnt::UnknownElement"
    [JRUBY-6922] - Regexp#match interpets pos parameter in term of
bytes instead of chars

Improvement

    [JRUBY-5451] - Unessesary late error message when subclassing a
packaged class with no public constructors.
    [JRUBY-6915] - Improve performance of the Equals operator in the
RubyComparable class for objects of different types.

Github Issues resolved:

    337: Fix indentation in: e2c3728.
    330: mprove performance of the Equals operator in the
RubyComparable class for objects of different types
    329: only new up kernel32 instance once per jvm
    324: Fix #276. For good.
    320: Windows Process.kill =91KILL=92
    319: Windows signal
    312: Nested timeout supercedes enclosing timeout
    311: Fix edge case where rescued Exceptions may be nil
    295: Fix: Added support for the Java cacerts trust anchors
    292: Apply =91-=92 behaviour to blank padded format directives.
    291: Add encoding annotation to test_unicode_path
    278: fix some error message in Struct#[]
    270: JSON format profile printer
    255: JRUBY-6510 fix String.encode!

--=20
blog: http://blog.enebo.com       twitter: tom_enebo