Just keep in mind that all (programming) languages are different, and the
solutions to a single problem must necessarily be different in those
languages.

Writing a java program using code that works in C is just as "wrong."

It just so happens that ruby provides a much more "functional" standard
library, so where creating or analysing a java-esque solution will help
your understanding for similar languages (C++, C#, etc.) you'd still need
to come up with a different algorithmic approach to solve it in a purely
procedural language like assembly, and yet another for a more functional
language like ruby.

PS stay away from lisp