Hi, new to the forum, not new to Ruby but very new to Regular Expression
and they are killing me...

I have strings that look like this:
"--- this is a string ---" = "--- this is a string ---";
"  this is a string  " = "  this is a string  ";
"###this is a string" = "###this is a string";

I need to just get both string on each side to the equal sign, not
including the equal sign. I need to get all spaces or characters inside
the quotes but not including the quotes and not the semi-colon. I need
to compare the two strings. So...

this is a string this is a string

I tried using string.scan/regex/ which I like because it returns an
array. Again Fail.

I've tried all kinds of RegEx...I simply don't know what I'm doing and I
very frustrated. I have been using http://rubular.com/ to experiment but
I'm really not having success...

My most successful attempt, [^"=;] gets pretty much what I need but I
can't not select the space around the =.

I've looked at documentation, used Rubular and have tried a lot of
different things.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Brad