After reading all the responses to this, I was curious to see how it =
would do on my system. It seemed to do fine.=20

wayne$ ruby largearray.rb=20
6.730365

But this is also on a 64-bit system with lots of RAM. So, I'm not sure =
it's a fair assessment of your script.  And normally I wouldn't create =
such a large array. Now, maybe you were doing this to test some larger =
script and wanted to see the performance, but I've got some pretty large =
arrays in a few of my scripts and they don't have performance problems =
on any of the computers I use them on. But I don't think they come close =
to the size you created here.=20

Wayne