On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Tridib Bandopadhyay
<lists / ruby-forum.com>wrote:

> OK, but when i declare same array with my extension using a simple
> malloc() function. It takes very less time. Is there any internal
> mechanism goes on when Ruby creates an array by itself?.

You're probably doing an inaccurate comparison. You're asking Ruby to
allocate an array with 614,400,000 slots, which in C is equivalent to the
same number of pointers, which depending on whether you're on a 32-bit or
64-bit host translates to either 2.4GB or 4.9GB.

In general, I'd say the fact you're even attempting to do this is extremely
suspect. What is your goal?

--
Tony Arcieri