Bartosz Dziewoski wrote in post #1077524:
> Is that an academic discussion or an attempt for practical
> optimization? Because Ruby sorta kinda does this internally.
>
> ttp://patshaughnessy.net/2012/1/4/never-create-ruby-strings-longer-than-23-characters
> http://patshaughnessy.net/2012/1/18/seeing-double-how-ruby-shares-string-values

Thanks! Wasn't academic. There was a discussion on the rails-core list here someone was complaining about the massive numbers of objects llocated:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-core/jFlXnFA4rP8

I just posted those links there.

The context was attribute names which primarily were < 23 characters I uess, so didn't benefit from that optimization. I think they merged eremy Evans's patch in after much discussion:
https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/7631

I was just considering something that could pool all strings, even hough it looks like that would slow things down a good bit.

Also, I was trying to learn more about it. Mission accomplished! Thanks!