IMO, the best way to learn is to pick something you have no idea how to do.
then google, write code, and repeat until you've done it.

that's a day of work for many programmers :)

in your case, you've written an address book. that's cool--is it
searchable? is there an interface? does it allow duplicates?

maybe you can start by adding a couple features to your address book.

hope that helps.

ian