In message "Re: [ANN] RubyWorld Conference 2012"
on Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:52:54 +0900, botp <botpena / gmail.com> writes:

> (if only i could speak jap...  i have phobia on foreign land..)

If that city is anything like Tokyo, you probably won't need much
Japanese.  I studied Japanese for a couple of business trips to Tokyo
a few years back, but any time I went up to the counter at a hotel,
restaurant, train station, etc., they saw my round eyes and started
talking English to me.  The only times I needed to speak Japanese were
a tiny sushi restaurant and a tiny antique dealer stall.

On the other claw, just like anybody, they really appreciate it when
you try to learn their language, rather than ass-u-me that everybody
speaks yours.  (Learning a few bits of basic French, even if spoken
poorly, will even get you decent service from Parisian waiters!)  So
when it came time to give my presentations (to Japanese audiences), I
started with several sentences of Japanese.  I think that really
helped cement the relationships.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, Available Secret-Cleared Ruby/Rails Freelancer (VA/DC/Remote);
see www.DaveAronson.com, www.Codosaur.us, and www.Dare2XL.com for more info.