- On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Carlos Agarie <carlos.agarie / gmail.co=
   > wrote:

Brandon, nice job. I'm trying to teach Ruby to a friend of mine and would
> love to present her your material when they're done.
>
> Good luck,
>

> 2012/9/18 Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>
>

>> On Sep 17, 2012, at 23:41 , Brandon Weaver <keystonelemur / gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey guys, I'm new to the list. I'm a Student Rubyist/Unix Hacker out o=
>> Joplin, MO.
>> >
>> > I'm looking into starting a Class/Podcast on Ruby because of some of
>> the interest I've generated in the language. I've been asked if I could
>> show various sets of people (approx 15) how to program in Ruby, so inste=
ad
>> of individually teaching each one I've decided to host a class of sorts.
>> Some of those interested have experience in .NET and Java, while others
>> haven't ever touched programming. Does anyone have any materials that
>> they've used to teach, or courses I can use to build off of?
>>
>> You're welcome to the stuff I did for seattle railsbridge:
>>
>>   https://github.com/zenspider/seattlerailsbridge
>>
>> which you can see here:
>>
>>   http://seattlerailsbridge.heroku.com/1
>>
>> It is meant for total beginners. My group was for the people who had
>> programming experience and I spent an extra hour or two doing live
>> walkthroughs in IRB, doing Q&A, and addressing differences with other
>> languages. None of that is reflected in the curriculum.
>>
>> I also still have all my materials for the course I taught at UW, but
>> that's a 12 week curriculum and it is meant strictly for people with
>> programming experience, so it probably doesn't fit your needs.
>>

> --
> Carlos Agarie
> Control engineering student
> Polytechnic School
> University of S=E3o Paulo

I figure at this point I still have access to College resources and I could
probably get the support of my department on this one. As I mentioned, I'm
still in College at this point. The interesting part is going to be casting
the class to accommodate so many different types of people.

Right now the audience that I'm aware of is:

   - Veteran Administrators
   - Novice Developers
   - Never Programmed in their lives
   - High School students
   - Middle School student

So at this point I have a wide range I'll have to cover. I won't get into
advanced tricks or concepts for a while, which will most definitely set off
some of the more experienced Devs and Admins, but will cater to those who
haven't even seen code. My goal in this is to start a new center for Ruby
in the Joplin area before I most likely leave in December.

In an area where RPG, COBOL, and .NET are by and far the dominate
languages, I feel like some one needs to spread the good word, and that
word is Ruby.

I'm looking into starting this a week from this Saturday, and most likely
casting in the afternoon.