Bob Hutchison wrote in post #1076145:
> On 2012-09-14, at 8:48 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:
> Does a homebrew install put gems into /usr/local? And do you still have
> to muck with your PATH?

Homebrew installs stuff under /usr/local/Cellar/<pkg>/<version>/ and
then installs symlinks into /usr/local/bin/ for the binaries, so you
don't have to muck about with PATH.

As for gems, the formula contains the following:

    # Put gem, site and vendor folders in the HOMEBREW_PREFIX
    ruby_lib = HOMEBREW_PREFIX/"lib/ruby"
    (ruby_lib/'site_ruby').mkpath
    (ruby_lib/'vendor_ruby').mkpath
    (ruby_lib/'gems').mkpath

    (lib/'ruby').install_symlink ruby_lib/'site_ruby',
                                 ruby_lib/'vendor_ruby',
                                 ruby_lib/'gems'

(where HOMEBREW_PREFIX defaults to /usr/local, I believe). That is, I
believe /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems will be symlinked into the correct
place. However I haven't actually installed ruby 1.9 on my Mac, as I
only use 1.8.